Despite the chilly weather, Spring is just on the horizon, and February is the perfect time to pop on a warm jacket and gloves and get out into the garden to prepare to plant seeds!
The Greener Gardening Company, previously known as Bord na Móna, is on hand with top picks and tricks for prepping your garden for a blooming lovely 2020.
- Our first top tip is to make sure that the ground isn’t frozen before cultivating and when starting to prepare your seedbeds, make sure the soil is free of weed with a fine crumbly texture. A great way to start to warm the soil is to cover the beds before sowing with a fleece or cloches, if not available then wait until the soil warms naturally.
- Tomato and cucumber seeds are perfect for greenhouse growing. Plant these from mid-February using the All Purpose Compost from The Greener Gardening Company Happy Compost range.
- Sweet peas can be sown individually and best suited to a sunny windowsill or greenhouse.
- During these colder months, kale seeds should be planted indoors in modules with 2-3 seeds per module.
- Salvias are great for borders and containers in the garden. Cover the seeds with a fine layer of Happy Compost All Purpose compost, then grow in a bright, warm spot.
- Always thoroughly water seeds after sowing with a rose head watering can.
Steve Harper, Head of Sales at The Greener Gardening Company says: “When preparing to plant seeds this February we want to ensure our customers are getting exceptional gardening results whilst remaining environmentally conscious.
We encourage our customers to get out gardening whatever the weather, and we are confident our Happy Compost range, which is 100% peat free, will serve them well and give them the best results all year round”.
To find out more about The Greener Gardening Company please visit: www.thegreenergardener.com.