At the ceremony in London on Wednesday night we were announced as the winner in this category ahead of 4 other high calibre finalists. We were awarded this prestigious prize not only for growing an exciting range of high quality plants, but for 'Growing them Responsibly', something that has always been important to Lowaters.
Here are a few of the initiatives that have helped us to win.
Self sufficient in Water
In 2010 we disconnected the Main Nursery from mains water, using rainwater to irrigate our plants
December 2011 we completed our 50Kw photovolteic Solar Unit.
- Generating 30% of our electricity for the main site
- Reducing our carbon footprint
Sustainable Growing Media
With Melcourt industries we have introduced Sylvamix and now grow without Peat
Pest and Disease Management
- We operate Integrated Crop Management on the Nursery
- All production staff trained to recognise pest and disease and to crop walk
- we breed some of our own Biological Control Atheta coriaria
- Compost Tea & Bio fungicides are key to our growing strategy
- Since 2011 we recycle all our office waste, paper, cardboard and old pots.
- Over 4 years we reduced our volume of landfill by 82%
Over 70% of plants propagated on site
Over 8 years we have developed a 'lean culture' enabling us to be focussed empowering the team, in 2012 the whole team completed an NVQ in Business improvement techniques