As Plantarea Manager, you will be responsible for managing the day-to-day running of the garden centre plant department. You will have a sound knowledge of plants and will work closely with the Plantarea Assistants to share your knowledge, as well as providing direction to your team for driving sales, employee engagement, training and retention whilst maintaining the highest standards of customer experience within the Plant department. Key responsibilities include managing financial controls, operations, people development, customer service and compliance.
- Manage the promotion of their brand in store by developing good local public relations and managing the active promotion of the Gardening Club.
- Lead and promote the highest standards of customer care and service at all times.
- Oversee the maintenance and upkeep of the Plantarea.
- Create and maintain a safe working environment for staff, customers and visitors to site, ensuring the compliance with the company Health and Safety Policy.
- Responsible for the financial management of the Plantarea, including assisting in the preparation and management of the budgets and analysing weekly sales performance and financial reports.
- Being at the forefront of ordering products as per seasonal requirements, ensuring they are in accordance with company listing and policies. Including liaising with buyers and suppliers accordingly.
- Managing merchandising to maximise sales opportunities, promoting stock in key areas as and when required.
- Coordinate the Plantarea Assistants to ensure the Plantarea is effectively maintained and merchandised as per company guidelines. Conduct regular appraisals with all staff, encouraging performance feedback.
- Make sure all staff within the Plantarea have completed the departmental Health and Safety induction prior to joining. In addition, ensuring that risk assessments are conducted and all staff have access to Health and Safety documentation.
Key competencies and behaviours:
- Positive with a "can do" attitude.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to deal with employees at all levels, as well as external contacts.
- An active listener.
- Ability to use good judgement and discretion with highly confidential and sensitive personnel information.
- Capable of effectively managing a team.
- Competent in ensuring exceptional operational and commercial standards within agreed budgets.
- Strong commercial agility to maximise and drive the Plantarea performance and profitability.
- Sound knowledge of plants, with the ability to be able to share this to coach the wider Plantarea team.
- Ideally training and experience within horticulture.