Our client is a leading interior landscaping provider who grows and supplies their own plants to their clients across the UK. With 3 nurseries in the Staffordshire and South East they are looking for a mobile Production Manager with a strong growing background who can manage these and also their Christmas Decoration Department as well.
The General Production Managers responsibility is to make sure that the stock from the companies nurseries and production facilities is delivered on time and in full to their clients across the UK and to ensure that all the depots and customers receive these products to the highest level of quality.
As Manager you will have full budgetary responsibility and the job holder will manage several experienced teams, working to KPI data to keep costs under control and to remain competitive. The job holder will also deal with third party producers and suppliers, forging relationships whilst achieving the best possible value.
- To manage three production teams, based in Staines, Waltham Abbey and Tamworth.
- To set annual production plans for all three sites, plus two-third party Nurseries.
- Manage these programs, to ensure the end delivery dates are on time. Communicate potential issues, and remedy any shortfalls in supply.
- To plan and order products from suppliers. Due to the nature of the products supplied, these orders are months in advance.
- To innovate and bring new ideas and be part of the New Product Development teams.
- To bring improvements to the business. To challenge how things are done. Continue a LEAN philosophy of reducing all unnecessary costs.
- To monitor the performances of the production facilities.
- To liaise with other departments in the business, particularly Business Support, Sales, Marketing and Operations.
- To provide holiday cover as and when required on the sites if a Manager is absent for a prolonged period.
- To ensure all the sites responsible for are presentable and safe. Ensuring the sites adhere to and manage all their Site Health and Safety responsibilities.
- The job holder will be responsible and accountable for expenditure for the several key cost centres. To make sure they fall within budgets set and explanations for significant differences.
- Heavily involved in costing. Providing accurate data so the business is able to achieve the revenues required with desirable margins. These costings provide annual price lists for catalogue products. Pricing up bespoke work is also significant, particularly for Christmas.
- To work closely with the Marketing Department. Future plans and designs are communicated to produce appropriate marketing literature.
- To be able to manage a business that has high seasonal peaks, therefore work in a high pressure environment.
- To provide colleagues and customers product knowledge and support. Horticultural knowledge, particularly in growing is essential. Christmas product knowledge is desirable.
- Develop your teams and give training support where required.
Skills and knowledge required to perform this role:
- Strong horticultural knowledge is essential for this position. Particularly experience of production and growing techniques.
- An understanding of Christmas products is desirable but not essential, training will be provided. So long as production practices and principals are understood.
- Good communication skills.
- Good IT skills, Outlook, Word, Excel and Powerpoint. As well as being able to use a series of stock control, HR related and financial software programs. Training will be provided for these.
- High level of commitment, with the ability to work at a fast pace, in a dynamic environment, meeting strict deadlines.
- Ability to remain calm in difficult situations and maintain strong relationships internally and externally.
- Have a full clean driving licence (essential)
- Be prepared to visit sites and meetings on a regular basis.
- Be prepared to work flexibly during the peak demand week of May and June, and October and November.