24 hours per week – flexible hours
Be part of our award-winning family run business, which is one of the largest independent garden centres in the UK with an annual turnover of more than £9m. You will be responsible for buying within Home & Gift and Outdooor Living departments. You'll need to be aware of the current trends on the high street (for customers of all ages) and be able to follow the look and feel of the Perrywood brand.
You would be part of our buying team, and we would expect you to take on responsibility for buying children & games, books and cook shop. You would also work with another lead buyer on cane and garden furniture.
- You will take on responsibility for liaising with more than 30 suppliers, meeting with them as required and placing orders – brands include Jelly Cat, Melissa and Doug, Joseph & Joseph, Churchill, Mason Cash, Hartman furniture
- Ensure products are adequately stocked up by retail staff, and re-ordered as necessary. We have full EPOS systems in place.
- Take responsibility for pricing and display of goods in seasonal sales
- Visit suppliers and trade fairs in the UK and occasionally abroad e.g. spring fair NEC (February 2018)
- Work with other buyers to identify and bring in new suppliers/ranges as required
- Monitor sales and reduce prices where necessary
- Work closely with Visual Merchandising Manager to ensure buying decisions translate well onto the shop floor, and take their feedback into account when buying
- Work closely with communications team with regards to online sales (we collate a small seasonal collection 4 times a year) and planning future communications themes. For example our 2018 theme – happiness & health – was decided after feedback from showroom visits
- You must be able to work on your own initiative and have excellent organisational and planning skills, and decision-making ability
- You are able to think under pressure and on your feet, and can initiate commercial solutions to sales challenges
- You have excellent supplier management and relationship building skills
- Experience of Budgeting and buying giftware lines
- Excellent communication skills
- You should be aware of commercial and customer needs and have an interest in children and cookware products in particular
- You are a strong team member, and are able to make things happen
- You have an understanding of retail trends
- Proficient in EPOS systems